Re: Roots of rokari power

From: Jeff <richaje_at_DDlw5LkgZzDMb90NatWQoHIrqB0UbR1qpfKFRR5W989G-baWyZXQUzJUDYDk8v9qBt_s>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 18:54:01 -0000

> > Bailifes was hardly on par with the Roman Emperor (even if he ultimately
> > ended up recreating the Kingdom of Seshnela - he was more of a Clovis figure
> > than a Constantine).
> /// Well, let's make him Charlemagne then, who did rule in good part through the
> Church.

Analogies certainly exist, but don't draw too heavily on any one historical analogy. Charlemagne was far more successful than Bailifes (and Bailifes was culturally Seshnegi - whatever that meant in the 15th century - and not a cultural barbarian who managed to recreate the Western Empire). Frex, I don't think Seshnela is in a desert. :D

> > I don't think Rokar was matyred, despite Reaching Moon 12.
> /// Ah. That's a new one. No "Perfect Moment", no ascencion to Solace on angels'
> wings anymore ? How did he die then ?

Rokar died in his study room of extreme old age, a sign of his pious life. I believe his student, Mardron, was killed in 1416 while holding together the spell that enabled the king to defeat the rebellious nobles of Tanisor. The spell held, although it cost Mardron his life. After his body was burnt, the Temple of the Invisible God in Leplain was commemorated in his memory.

> /// I'm begining to get curious about this Credo game. What "good news" are you
> referring to ?

Wait to hear more. With luck might even make the announcement at Eternal Con.

> /// Ah, so Rokar himself focussed on zzaburi's errors in his lifetime, then, and
> took the Church (whatever it was like in these days) face on. And they struck
> back. And if he wasn't martyred, then... what happened ? Did he blast them off
> and rode off to Solace, having sacrificed his life for Victory ?

Well keep in mind that there was no real institution holding Malkionism together in Seshnela prior to Bailifes unification of the land. You had lots of movements trying to make sense of the fragments of the Abiding Book that survived the disaster, lots of wizards expounding on the meaning of the Abiding Book or even just plain rejecting it. There were Arkati revival movements that claimed to know the Book of Secrets and even claimed that Arkat destroyed the God Learners. In some areas, farmers and warriors offered sacrifices to gods and spirits and willingly served these demons.

Rokar picked up the pieces of the Abiding Book, used his incredible logic to pierce the falsehoods that the God Learners had added to the original holy book. Rokar's logic and scholarship was so great that he redacted all the lies, edits, and modifications the God Learners had made and revealed the Sharp Abiding Book - the True Abiding Book, restored to its Truth. Instead of the 216 chapters the God Learners had claimed, Rokar determined that only 72 were True and original. Superstition, lies, falsehoods - all were pruned back to reveal the glory of the Truth.

When Rokar's revelations made him unwelcome in the Leplain of the Tarasdal Alliance, Bailifes father or grandfather (can't remember which) invited him to Segurane. The Rindland rulers accepted Rokar's revelations and swore to uphold the Sharp Abiding Book. Rokar taught and studied, and lived a long and pious life.

Jeff