Re: The three runes we all have

From: Charles <charles_at_APEr8TAj2vyABZSVmlLkor8_AaRcJhRVslCcDeAkkDzYUq16RXCyLRb1S3cL6szAkrAw>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:06:54 -0000

> As a general rule, the runes don't play a direct part in Animism
> or Sorcery. Spirits are entities that you control or otherwise
> bargain with - their strength comes from your status as a spirit
> society member or a shaman and not from your runes. However,
> there are exception (frex, folk who possess the Spirit Rune -
> those folk are natural spirit talkers).

I would amend this with a big but...

Your personal runes drive you to behave in certain ways (they are your soul and your personality, after all). And typically, your personal runes match or complement those of the communities that you are born into or choose to join. Occasionally, your runes clash - and how this is resolved is the stuff of stories, whether heroic or tragic (or both).

> Wizardry is something you know, not something you are. You can
> be a sadistic murdering monster and have mastered the Grimoire
> of Xemela far better than the compassionate lifegivers.

After what I said above, I can hardly agree that this is likely, although I admit the possibility :D

> Again, there are always exceptions to this (frex the LM
> sorcerers use their Law Rune to master the Torvald Fragments
> Grimoire).

I would suggest that many, or even most, sorcerers possess the Law Rune.

> On the other hand, I'd certainly allow a character to augment
> their wizardry or their spirit with a personal rune. That way
> Windy Wahagrim (with a strong connection to the Air Rune) is
> likely going to have an edge with Air spirits over his
> compatriots, and Fekesmel the Unruly is particularly feared
> for his command of the destructive spells in the Book of
> Return.

Absolutely!

regards,
Charles