Re: Scripts + Examples

From: Jeff <richaje_at_UOg9_e-yYCeQUHXUC0HIuUaGCU09QuXjON2kcV5WVJdYlwumHaemSWvTZPYQFMbaklsn>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:40:49 -0000

> Well... That was actually the idea behind this post. I want to produce sample texts for my Second Age Umathelan game. I believe I would have to start from the script used in the Middle Sea Empire (Western script? Rune-based?)

Gianni - send me an email offline. I am interested in starting up a Gloranthan scripts working group....

But as for your question regarding Umathela, I presume that the wizardly folk use the Western Script, and the barbaric settlers use some script derived from the LM scripts (maybe actually the LM script given how conservative LM is). There is likely also a Fonrit script, although that may be heavily derived from Western.

> Another thought I had was that there were two scripts used in Kralorela -- a complex, logographic one used by scholars, and a simpler, alphabetic one used by less learned people. The scholars would declare the simpler script "heretic" -- actually they see it as a menace to their hold on knowledge [This is actually based on what happened in Korea in the 15th century], so anyone using the simpler script would have to do it in secret.

There may be more than two scripts! I am pretty certain there is a standardized script for the educated. If you wish to be an imperial bureaucrat, this is the script you must master. Beyond that, there is probably (at least one - possibly more) simpler script used by the less learned. Some magicians may have preserved the use of the Western script (or perhaps some wild and weird derivation), and there are a few solar cults that use something that looks suspiciously like a Pelorian script.

Jeff