Re: HeroQuest Questions (I'm sure there is apun inthere somewhere)

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_TvdjKhX44g4WPxjAk3_51jO1mtuMN5EtFqYRcRHHONOSLKVfz1dahH_9jRy73anQg>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:10:27 -0700

YGWV
I'm gonna spit out an answer before Jeff explains in in gamese

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:47 AM, dougiepunk <dougiepunk_at_fuyOlTLckVqOB0g-zbXUH_ATn_S95ygVmWra6drg0qmS-VDaQnpGNK3x22hNuLPI2LDcJKSqM9Y4Izbvh7I.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> The biggest one is about being drawn into someone else's heroquest. I get
> the theory (I think)

can you state it, to be sure we are are on the same page? Oop, too slow. I'm surging ahead.

but have great trouble understanding what this is like from the perspective
> of the character being drawn in.

Before going on, I want you think about what it's like to have a "big mac attack." Not really, but I want you to think of the urge. The urge you have when you see a book for sale for only $100 instead of its usual $400--it's only going to be there once! Or the twitch that a normal guy feels when a pretty young blond woman perfectly shaped and accoutered, looks into his eyes and locks her sky blues on him and says, "I hope we can do this again."

> Does a band of Orlanthi thanes out patrolling their tula suddenly get the
> urge to ride off and attack some solar types who they just know are
> there..or what?

You are the patrol leader near your borders. You are feeling irritated today, like your teeth itch. You are experienced, you know this means there is more than usual spiritual energy moving about. It happens fairly often on most days. But what's it mean? It's springtime and the flower faeries might be having another orgy. You, an Orlanthi, know it is NOT something on the wind. It seems to be something that is bothering your horse... Your men say

"Hey Dougielanth, remember that Sun Dome guy you killed?"
"Oh, that dog's ass!" says another, "Ooooh, I hate them."
"I couldn't see right for a year!"
"Don't they still have 'Jeffmact's sword?"
You, experienced veteran, say, "Change the subject, men." And they, your lifelong friends, veterans and newcomers all, obey.
"Yes Sir, I wouldn't want to talk asbout that bright light again."
"Ooooh, man, it's hard. Those catshit-eating sons of bitches... yes sir"
"I'll stop talking, but I'll not forget how that bright line came on, like
right there... I'll be right back..."

Is their free will taken over in some way?

no just weakend

On an Otherworld heroquest I have less of a problem, as people you meet are
> other heroquesters whose heroquests you cross, and they can come from any
> time. How does this work for This World heroquests? Also (a side issue),
> what if the character who is drawn in recognises the myth and doesn't want
> to play his/her part?

He merely has to refuse the built up effect

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer