HeroQuest Questions (I'm sure there is apun inthere somewhere)

From: dougiepunk <dougiepunk_at_aIqd2e-8ToQYJ1opBGAoYHHI4-us7U-pBkyJkUjpDeq-G9CkLR42Gb-ToFR9fKCeT>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:47:43 -0000

Hi all,

I've been re-reading my copy of S:KoH and have been reminded of a couple of things that have always confused me.

The biggest one is about being drawn into someone else's heroquest. I get the theory (I think) but have great trouble understanding what this is like from the perspective of the character being drawn in. Does a band of Orlanthi thanes out patrolling their tula suddenly get the urge to ride off and attack some solar types who they just know are there..or what? Is their free will taken over in some way? On an Otherworld heroquest I have less of a problem, as people you meet are other heroquesters whose heroquests you cross, and they can come from any time. How does this work for This World heroquests? Also (a side issue), what if the character who is drawn in recognises the myth and doesn't want to play his/her part?

The other (lesser and more mechanical) problem is with deliberately failing stations on a heroquest. Assuming a band of PC's correctly identify a station as 'Orlanth was beaten up by Kygor Liter', how would you actually play this in a way that was fun for the players?

I hope my explanation of these problems makes sense!

Dougie.