Re: Creating and playing a Lucky character

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_dtu2bj6XjU47YwLMV-Z7BH1hpxvGPBqkbBwKO-yJ0-5j4UmVOO1M_ytd3wh7PdUXCXLeP-OW>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:58:36 +0100

hcarteau_at_Dr_NyX0GOpX-UxTZ3v3roI9r34GkbYbsdneFT3fiUEDXE68PzOhylfYocAztMAFwSR3XO0OhMFtmhR0.yahoo.invalid writes:

>BUT there is a price. "She giveth and taketh", so every time Luck activates, the character... the character, hem... suffers some penalty that is both interesting to play and would prevent the use of Luck to become a game-killer. Any specific ideas ?

Personally, I think the idea that this person's luck always impacts badly on other people would make him seem like a jinx, not the original concept of "a lucky punk". Though a more limited idea, that the luck can only benefit him personally but won't actually harm his friends, would fit better IMO.

Some other suggestions:

His luck only works as long as he doesn't take it for granted. If he ever makes a plan of action that *relies* on outrageous luck at any stage, the plan will instead fail horribly.

If he ever boasts about his luck, the affinity will fail next time he tries to use it in a serious contest.

His luck relies on a lucky charm (the Gloranthan equivalent of a rabbit's foot) or some ritual he performs before taking action (blowing on his dice, etc). If he ever loses the charm or forgets the ritual, his Luck affinity is applied as a *flaw*.

If he tries to use the Luck affinity more than once in the same contest, he's "pushing his luck" and an incremental penalty is applied.

If he uses his Luck affinity and fails the roll, the negative result is automatically increased by one level (Success -> Fail -> Fumble).

Stephen