Re: Creating and playing a Lucky character

From: matthew.cole <matthew.cole_at_fC2V4_I60j6HMP_mU8hpjrHK4KakgxMTqymfAUKeMqQ0qzQgs9fHnODbFrMXSvd>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 12:18:46 +0100

One of the narrations we use with the expenditure of HeroPoints to bump up a dice roll is: "the character was lucky". Narration example: Jim was sneaking by the alert guards and one of them suddenly sneezed, distracting them all at the vital moment.

I agree that the player's character concept of "insolently lucky young punk" doesn't mention anything about being a curse to others (except that he's insolent!).

I find it hard to think of a way to use "lucky" as an ability directly. Also, using it as an augment seems, at first, to be right but HQ augments have to be "fresh" and "interesting" etc. This player's central character concept will be the thing they are focussing on quite a bit, so repeated use of the same augment will be neither "fresh" or "interesting" without requirement for consistent genius!

I suggest you allow your player a "Lucky" Keyword. Then you can put specific abilities in there which will lead to all sorts of interesting narrations:

*Lucky 1W*
  Never Catches Cold
  Wins At Dice
  Survive A Fall +2
  Butter-side Up

Obviously, they can add abilities to the keyword by spending HeroPoints and they can improvise on the keyword for a penalty in the same way Jeff suggests.

The Luck Rune would allow the character to have access to Luck Magic and works in much the same way as the keyword.

I don't think I would permit the character to have both the Luck rune and a Lucky Keyword - it makes the focus to much on one aspect.

You could, of course, according to HQ, have your character's central keyword be: "Insolently Lucky Young Punk"

*Insolently Lucky Young Punk 5W*
 Make Rude Remarks +1
 Never Caught Cheating
 Oily Skin
 Find the Unlocked Car

I think I like this more than the Lucky keyword.

If they were a member of a cult that had the Luck rune as well then this would fit better. Also, the cult could have the "karma" aspect you liked.

I hope this helps and is in-time!

Matthew