Re: Creating and playing a Lucky character

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_Cws7DvtwB_aFCiJFNrJE1bm3k6a_FVBWq-FerP8xORiSp0AbA_NEifsOGCmC>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:13:31 +0100 (BST)

The old Chaosium-era concept of the Luck rune (which I concede may or may not be current), was that it was a (non-Celestial Court?) Power rune denoting "good fortune", mirrored by the Fate rune which denoted misfortune and/or "the way of the world". The write-up suggested that the Fate rune was sometimes used by "loser cultures" to explain their place in the world, thereby saying that bad luck was, for them, the way of the world.

A good example of this from Gods of Glorantha (the Avalon Hill-era Cults book for Runequest) were the cults of Asrelia and Ty Kora Tek, which at that time were separate. Asrelia had the Luck rune, Ty Kora Tek had the Fate rune. (One of the books in "Hero Wars" then suggested, at least in Sartar, that Asrelia and Ty Kora Tek were two goddesses worshipped through one cult).

If the Old Ladies are still one cult, what would their runes be? Earth, Luck and Fate? If they only merited two runes between them, would you say Earth and Balance? (but in a decidedly pre-Red Moon sense) Or is there another rune which simultaneously conveys good and bad luck in a better way?

Personally I don't mind an Earth cult like that having opposed Power runes (if Luck and Fate are still seen as powers rather than Conditions), because the Earth rune can encompass Summer and Winter, Life and Death, Old Age and Youth. This is not Chaotic or contradictory because Earth cults can accept that there is "a time for every purpose under heaven". Indeed doesn't old age itself involve elements of Luck and Fate?
 Alternatively have the Luck and Fate runes been merged to make just one rune, denoting good and bad luck? It might make some sense, especially if it was called a Condition rather than a Power -- though if you do this, how do you convey the old meaning of Fate, or the association of good fortune with prosperity (as in the old Asrelia cult), through Runes? (Incidentally Earth and a rune for Luck (good and bad) would also be a good way to describe a combined cult of Asrelia and Ty Kora Tek in just two runes)

As for the Godforgot cult of our Lady that Giveth and Taketh Away, maybe she needs two runes -- one for "Giving" and one for "Taking Away"? If so, I would suggest Luck and Fate, or maybe Luck and Balance?

Would a two-rune approach help define, or at least describe, how this character's luck (good and bad), plays out? Even if one rune is a personal rune rather than one derived from the character's cult?

At a mechanical level, could one flip a coin to decide whether a positive or negative modifier attached to a partcular action (i.e. was he lucky or unlucky) or use a die to decide the size as well as direction of the modifier, possibly on the understanding that the next action of roughly equal importance would carry a similar modifier in the opposite direction, for a similar length of time? (Alternatively maybe the randomness of the modifier would produce good and bad luck over time anyway, without the need for anything else?)

Exactly what that meant in any given case (how the character was lucky/unlucky) could then be described in a very flexible, impressionistic and MGF way by the GM and/or player

Alternatively there is the old Hero System Mechanic:	* At appropriate times, Lucky characters roll 1 to 3d6 (or the GM does it for them), depending on how lucky they are. Each '6' rolled improves their outcome -- one by a little bit, three sixes is pretty spectacular.
	* Unlucky characters also roll 1 to 3d6, depending on how unlucky they are. Each '1' rolled makes things worse for them.
If a character is lucky and unlucky, the 1s and 6s can either cancel each other out, or the character can simultaneously be blessed and cursed. The latter may have more MGF potential Richard Hayes