Re: Initiate in exile...

From: hcarteau_at_sV8yD-XAJdE6leRDlpZJF1ctEIyuU7uvXcwOi4PrZWDOlrBedX7SXXMukTvTG-6UkWa
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:03:55 +0200 (CEST)

This thread sounds a bit artificial.

IMO Of course exiled PCs, severed from their home communities, can still use their Magics (Air 5M or Bladesharp 5 or whatever). What they can't is waltz in a place where they are unknown, and potential troublemakers, and request great support : for heroquest, for equipment, for major healing, whatever. When you're exiled your personal magics still work - but that's all you can rely on. Bye bye anything else. Your PC will have to connect to another community and pledge some alliegeance to it to get any support beyond that.

I use that a lot with my PCs, make them feel how unwelcome they are as soon as they get a few days away from their home base. People look at them mistrustfully, talk behind their backs. Mothers snatch their children inside the house. Nobody wants to talk to them at first until they've been vetted by local authorities. And if they want any support, even the right to use the local shrine (who knows if these foreigners wouldn't ruin it ?), they have to commit to the local and perform some task, preferably dangerous.

Lots and lots of diplomacy, "walking on eggs" as we say in French, is mandatory, or wanderers get kicked out. That's all I need for my MGF.

Hervé

> Once upon a time RQ was the game that had the philosophy that every culture had a word for adventurer. This was something that inspired players, made them feel that the world was free to explore.

Umm, lets read that bit a little more carefully from the Genertela book:

"As a matter of note, the word for 'adventurer' does exist in most Gloranthan languages. The word means many things, but usally indicates someone taking risks, often illicit or at least without too many scruples, for selfish personal gain. More generously, the word describes anyone undertaking daring, independent political and/or military activity on behalf of a great cause."

That's not the same thing as saying that in RQ3 (or RQ2) a member of a Rune cult could get kicked out of his community, wander to a new community and simply show up at the local temple of his old cult without pledging allegiance to the priests of the new temple. RQ2 was pretty explicit that an initiate had to pledge loyalty to the priests of the cult. The Orlanth Adventurous writeup in Cults of Prax made it very clear that each "temple" was independent.

That's all old school stuff and the new material isn't saying anything more than that.

> Yes we used to seek out friendly priests, and as RQ got a little more anthropological we had to ensure the priests we chosse were not from unfriendly clans. But now we seem to be in the situation where even finding a friendly priest in a foreign land suddenly threatens to totally change your community obligations and social position.

If you want to reside in a foreign land, you do totally change your community obligations and social position. Take it from me. Or take it from Loz. We're both expats.

Jeff