Re: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_0UU6u5dr3gEO1pe16TKRUaBXELrPU0aoVtDeqb8FowtPaXyev2rHaN5okZxn2lKobo>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:00:59 -0000

I think spelling on earth tended to evolve with pronunciations, gradually getting frozen after the printing press started bringing about questions of standardization, but even then things kept drifting for a while. Languages where literacy arrived later, and pronunciations have chnaged more slowly, tend to be wonderfully easy to pronounce (I'm jealous of the Finns!).

That only applies to alphabet or phoneme based writing systems. Chinese gets around this issue nicely :) I always figured LM scripts would be more like the chinese system, with symbols having meaning. On the other hand, I could imagine Buserian script having essentially no relation to modern pronunciations....kind of like writing french using latin spelling, or some such.