Re: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_CM-_G-dfnR4rtWl_LZxwlECtMPNbL697yzihV2PcYaC_Rj4E05n4ZoUJLQoj1VaK1sRB>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:20:49 +0200

While I hated to learn French (had it about 3 years in school) and any language actually I had to learn, English was about the most reasonable foreign language, but... BUT!!

> most of us anglo-saxon types have trouble with the distinctions between some of the french vowels.... in practice, when I lived in Paris years ago I had trouble telling if someone had gone north, east, or west for their weekend getaway (Reims, Rennes, or Rouen...the last consonant is rarely fully pronounced in any of them from what I can tell....I keep meaning to add this into a Gloranthan adventure some day)
>
> /// Most of us French types have trouble with the distinction of many english vowels as well !

Oh, this concerns most of anybody in the world... and it is not just about vowels. I don't want to spill oil... somewhere, but actually it is the English people, when they took over the latin alphabet, that did not understand this is a *phonetic* spelling. This means: One letter (or combination thereof, we don't mind the TH, PH and so on), one sound! While we (I am) Germans have our - you may think funny - umlauts, French has these vast amounts of accents ยด`^ , Scandinavians murk letter the way they seem to like, Spaniards and Portuguese add some funny hooks to their letters, we ALL cling to it: one letter, one sound. I didn't want to, but I can't help it: How can anybody write a word that a Roman (inventor of the Latin alphabet) would have written "Wuster" write Worcester?!
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=worcester

If an S and an I and an O and a U
With an X at the end spell Su;
And an E and a Y and an E spell I,
Pray what is a speller to do?
Then, if also an S and an I and a G
And an HED spell side,
There's nothing much left for a speller to do But to go commit siouxeyesighed.

Thanks for all the phish!

Oh, there is another one about Linguistics:

It is a curious fact, and one to which no one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85% of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonnyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand or more variations on the same phonetic theme. The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian 'chinanto/mnigs' which is ordinary water served at slightly above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks' which kill cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that the names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.
What can be made of this fact? It exists in total isolation. As far as any theory of structural linguistics is concerned it is right off the graph, and yet it persists. Old structural linguists get very angry when young structural linguists go on about it. Young structural linguists get deeply excited about it and stay up late at night convinced that they are very close to something of profound importance, and end up becoming old structural linguists before their time, getting very angry with the young ones. Structural linguistics is a bitterly divided and unhappy discipline, and a large number of its practitioners spend too many nights drowning their problems in Ouisghian Zodahs.