Re: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_WR-9Px07aSiSFjg9C9VbfqA-SnruUkfFwwjl_iTH2j6CIaG2FB2Czsc2tV5leNwuO9lA>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 13:20:36 +0200

On 20.08.2011 11:14, Phil Hibbs wrote:
> Some Brits will laugh and mock a TV programme or movie where the romans
> speak with American accents. But, is it any more realistic for them to speak
> with English accents? Do Americans find romans with American accents odd, or
> does the accent just slip by as "normal"?

... and in "Born of Hope" (or wath it "The Hunt for Gollum") Orks spake Welsh or sumthin'!!

Can you imagine what an american film sounds like to the German, when (say WW II) it has Krauts speaking?! Or add to it, if French resistance also has their share? In Inglourious Basterds it was actually resolved very good. I suppose this film sounds even more odd to the American audience.

Yeah, at the end I think our discussion is... well, not fruitless, as we had our insights... but will not lead to reach our original goal.