Re: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: Jeff <richaje_at_-sZcQJbIfPVqT4EtU8uY5qUwBIMFKqGdjMy17M5lXjiNtMQrxcW3n56JRm_fX5dR0vcu>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 09:35:11 -0000

> Some Brits will laugh and mock a TV programme or movie where the romans
> speak with American accents. But, is it any more realistic for them to speak
> with English accents? Do Americans find romans with American accents odd, or
> does the accent just slip by as "normal"?

No odder than assuming that the members of the Julio-Claudian dynasty spoke like members of the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Greg and I have talked about Glorantha linguistics, but I'd strongly recommend you read Appendix F, Section II of the Lord of the Rings (usually printed as part of the Return of the King). As with Lord of the Rings, as much as is practicable the Gloranthan original texts have been translated into terms we moderns are familiar with. :D

Jeff