Re: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_xw7YGqG_8YQx5bw4CU7Fea7uagYsEV08X_R1h7Gpt7irLx1h0sFs3wc6vd2vQAPL2e0O>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 00:33:11 +0200

Pomeroi wrote:
> I know by chance (read some interview somewhere, a "Ye Booke of
> Tentacles" I suppose) that GS had been asked how to pronounce Pavis and
> he said Pah-vis

I am sure Greg meant to pronounce the "a" in Pavis like it is in father. I'm sorry, I only read it written somewhere, but it was German scripting so I guess I am right. Greg is USian, but I think he has a grip of pronunciation of all the other Nordic words he uses (at least many Heortling terms), and transferred this to others. E.G. Carl is surely a long "ah" (not "ay") and Huscarl was "translated" to Housecarl, so you know how to pronounce house, which is different from hus. (u like oo in foot, but shorter).

Doesn't help, we need to ask Greg.