Re: On the Nature of the Durulz

From: jorganos <joe_at_ejHzaama95U7EnldqYvIeE1ZHrNBdZFV4CIEESYOaLxSgz1YUwIUMSxfwt7QJCoohky0wIKt>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:39:22 -0000

Sean Foster

> Do Durulz fulfil the Eurmal 'tribal' position in the Sartar 'Tribal' Ring?

> Theft, deceit, scapegoat, loneliness all seem to plague the Duck personality.

I'm fairly certain that there are several vastly different myths telling how Eurmal made the Durulz, or placed them in Dragon Pass. Most of them true...

Prior to Starbrow's Rebellion, the Durulz controlled the river trade with Nochet. After the Rebellion, they still controlled the clandestine river trade with Nochet, and blocked all other river trade.

> I for one have never understood why they were not simply eradicated as a tribe by that bounty, it does not seem difficult assuming that cannot all just live in the middle of the marsh with no external trade.

They simply had to trade downriver, never leaving their element of choice.

Wet gardening is a very effective means of providing basic nourishment. Duck Weed (lemna) grows explosively on still waters, can be harvested without much trouble and makes excellent protein fodder for fowl. Add all the crawly stuff you can't identify in a proper cajoun gumbo, and the most basic need for food is covered.

> This bounty has never seemed to have been that successful (the duck in Applelane), whereas the decision to eradicate the Dundelos was.

Quackjohn probably had a Lunar tax stamp on his beak, nullifying the bounty.

The Dundealos had valuable property - land, cattle, and souls for the dedication of the nearby new temple. And they weren't eradicated, but escaped en masse to the Pol Joni, biding their time in the better pastures of Prax.

> * Will the ducks eventually lead a small group into Upland marsh, where there is a gate to the underworld? Does the upland marsh have a greater than appreciated mythic role in the upcoming Herowars? It has only been there for 600 years. Maybe something was in that vicinity prior to Delecti, that the marsh hides till the Herowars.

Remakerela was one of the least draconic EWF areas, dedicated to weird experimentation which is blamed for the abundance of the beastfolk downriver of the marsh.

> If the Ducks are Eurmal (presumably not an Argrath :),

Why not? Ok, it will be hard to prove that they are of the Sartar bloodline. There were rumors, though, that Sartar once turned into a duck and spend a night there when the Durulz joined his principality. Totally unsubstantiated rumors, of course. Seriously...

(How should a man who could transmorph assassins into crawling woodpecker fodder turn himself into a duck for a night, you ask? No idea.)

> what would you suggest the roles the other tribes play?

Hmm. There are twice as many tribes than there are positions to fill...

> Dundelos - Grandfather Mortal

Similar claims can be made by the Maboder, the Kultain, and others before them.

> Colymar?

Ernalda.

> Sartar blood kin (Argrath(s) and his/her band) - Orlanth Rex

Larnste.

I'd be interested how you would place the Telmori in this scheme...