Re: Music is the Weapon

From: jorganos <joe_at_iGQeBPfZZmsSzDujznzGjN35qVEQsZu9l2xL6RxJ2opDdAaI-H1Y63c1qBBUAzL7d6WyjDqq>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 18:22:08 -0000

Keith:
> It could be possible that Gorgers, or other demons existed in Fonrit at the Dawn and were a factor in slowing down human expansion.

To the local humans, it wouldn't have made much of a difference whether these demons were Apdara or Uz from the mountains.

> I imagine the invasions of beast herding people led by Baraku to be kin of Praxians - Storm Bull, Eiritha, High Llamas, Impala, Bison, Morocanth, rather than goat herders.

I'm inclined to go for quite a diversity of cloven-hooved herd beasts as well, though not necessarily identical to those migrating to Genert's Garden at roughly the same time Orlanth led his Downland Migration. The only known migration from western or central Pamaltela to Genertela was that of the Men-and-a-half, which may have been a reaction to the Baraku invasion - carry the warfare to the enemies.

> In my view the "goat" herders of Kanen Dar and Tarahorn actually herd other creatures as per the "no cloven hooved animals" guide that Trotsky has for Anaxial's Roster (speckled condies, I believe).

I don't think that this applies for the lands north of the elf forests. Temperate Pamaltela (Umathela and Fonrit) has no history of starving all herd beasts.

I doubt that Baraku brought goats to the veldt - it takes way more than the absence of grass to starve goats. We know of other strange herd beasts in the times of the Vadrudi wanderings, like the Andam of southern Peloria, so why not have saiga riders, cape buffalo riders, capricorn riders and various other antelopes, camelids etc. in that migration.

> I still hold to my theory that Cathora is Eiritha in disguise who married Artmal and gave birth to the Lopers, before returning to Genert, and marrying Storm Bull.

Interesting, but I'm not quite sold on this.

> This is a good point too. Pithdarans set off by the Sunstop, pass through Fonrit, some will get left behind in Laskal. I imagine they would leave from the Martino Sea rather than cross Fonrit to the Poysida straits, but perhaps they felt they should go north until they found the new Bad God. Perhaps some Pithdarans carried on by boat, while others thought they had found enough evidence of Bad Gods in Fonrit to try and do Justice right there.

I don't see Garangordos as an offshoot of the Pithdaran migration. His ideas are too different to what the Pithdarans live.

I think that Garangordos came from remnants of an urban Agimori culture that did not condemn their Storm Age civilization like the Doraddi culture does, and that this was the conflict which drove his people out of the Veldt.

That and the existance of the Iron City Kolarmori myth in Pithdaran (and apparently also Jolar's population's) stories makes his settling into urban Fonrit (or founding the urban society of Fonrit) a bit more likely than just another doraddic tribe pushed into the fringes of the elf woods and then doing a completely new thing.

>> Garangordos certainly did not have the well-being of his conquered subjects in mind, but that of his conquering people. To the natives, this may not have been much of a change, given their previous exposure to apdara and waertagi raiders.

> Agreed. Garan was not in it to make life pleasant for Blues.

Another possible connection to the Agimori urban civilization that fought the Artmali Empire.

>> Maybe Syranthir is the cultural founding hero we should use for comparison - thrown out of the homeland, making contact with a native deity of rather cruel history (as seen by the Pelandans) and spreading his homeland creed and companions as the top layer of society and culture.

> There are parallels but, at least for my game, I am not thinking of the band of adventurers as an exiled army, becoming a mercenary who takes over from his employers.

I see the band of Syranthir as refugees first, going mercenary mainly because they had no other meaningful way of feeding themselves, lacking herds and agricultural land and seedstock. They left Frontem without time for packing all their belongings.

I see the Garangordites on a more organized migration than the Carmanians, making a stop for maybe a generation or three after leaving the veldt. I don't think they penetrated the Greenwood of Jolar, but migrated through it in the aftermath of its destruction.

> I don't see Garangodos as leading an army into Fonrit. He goes there with a little band. He might raise a slave army later, to conquer some other part of it, but they would be native slaves.

I agree - Garangordos leads a small group further north. Much like Erik the Red led a small group of exiles to Greenland.

In my opinion, he slowly discovers the rulership by slavery encountering local spirits that remember Oabil, and lets that influence his concept of rulership, discovering a different aspect of Om-Pamalt or whatever the people he came from called their ruling spirit/deity.

Peter:
>>> I'm currently seeing Ompalam as a Pamalt equivalent - the same deity in two different religions (although the Doraddi would probably say that he was Bolongo looking like Pamalt). Thus when the Doraddi speak about Pamalt doing such and such, the Fonritan myth is about Ompalam.

> That makes sense, especially if we can have Ompalam as Pamalt gone wrong in some, but not all, ways.

One difference being that Ompalam appears to be a (mostly?) theist and not an animist entity.