Re: Lunar versus Draconic Mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at__ZRJsMUSneBkV8nTybPuGrb337IyUzUiIr6nsCzKhuShVFOjcOqfD9m-UzUSqQCCO6H>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:13:46 +1300

On 10/28/2011 5:48 AM, Chris Bell wrote:
> In a 3rd Age game, I'm curious how Sartarite and Tarsh resisters who
> rediscover EWF mysticism (like Argrath) might use it to resist Lunar magical
> advantages - being able to draw on all three otherworlds, ease of using
> Chaos, and so on.

A big problem in any answer is that the rules for draconism are not around while the rules for Lunar magic are in a state of change (primarily because of change in design philosophy between HQ1 and HQ2).

First of, I think it wiser to talk about how the resisters rediscover EWF _magic_. Mysticism is non-tangible and doesn't really do anything.

The source of Draconic Magic comes from IMO the True Dragon that the Draconic Magician will become. Since True Dragons can move through time, they can aid themselves when they were not yet True Dragons. Doing this too often or inappropriately diminishes the power of the True Dragon and can cause it to cease to be.

Draconic Magic is really the abilities of the True Dragon sent back through time or what HeroQuest (both editions) calls Natural Magic. It is called into effect when needed and when no longer needed, it goes away like it never had been. Because the True Dragon exists in the future, it is invisible to magical detections unless it is in effect. You can judge the power of a Draconic Magician by his closeness to either the Dragonewt Rune or the Dragonpower Rune

The type of Dragon Magic that one can use depends on their closeness to their own True Dragon. The standard paths are that of the Dragonewts which has four stages, each with its own dragon magics based on their increasing sensitivity of their impending True Dragon. Other paths exist such as the Wyrms, the lost EWF paths and the Kralori Sagely Traditions. I would also give different magic abilities based on the type of True Dragon that the magician will become - a Draconic Magician in the Aroka tradition will have different magics than that of the Sh'hakarzeel tradition for example.

A cost of doing Dragon Magic is that it causes Entanglements. If you use fiery breath to burn some trolls, you create an entanglement with darkness that must be remediated. The Entanglement may be discharged by propitiatory worship or the Draconic Magician may chose to aid some Trolls in the future. Until the Entanglement is discharged, he suffers a penalty based on the circumstances and severity of the Entanglement. A frequent burner of trolls might suffer a penalty in using Dragon Magic against them while someone who uses his Dragon Magic in a particularly devastating way (e.f. Ingolf) might lose permanently the particular Dragon Magic that he has just used.

That's my take on it for now.

> Also, what are the philosophical differences between Lunar Sevening (as
> expressed in ILH2) and Draconic Illumination (as expressed in the MRQ2 2nd
> Age products)?

The Lunars believe in understanding your own unreality and coming to terms with it.

Draconic awareness (not Illumination for what it's worth) is that of your True Dragon Self.

--Peter Metcalfe