Re: A sense of smelt

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_AvFzlF8YeM21MzkuJBWeUg4kvDK-N4BMzomgsUB4JHjVVmrjgGXtPP3wZGtVL8s3>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:22:26 -0800 (PST)

 Jeorg:

> Distant cousins at best - the Protectresses may have been sisters of the ancestresses of the Copper People.

Mythically, they're all cousins.

> The Praxian beast nomads are about as native to the Wastes as the Horse nomads were to Dara Happa.

That's overstating things. Waha brought the people together out of the surviving remnants of many peoples. Waha made the tribes when he made the covenant. Before then, the people did not organize themselves in relation to any animals. There were groups of people who were descendants of Storm Bull and stuck together somewhat. Waha added people to each of these groups to form the nucleus of each tribe. After a couple of generations, no one really knew the difference or cared. So every tribe has ancestors that did not come down the spike with Storm Bull. That's neither a source of honor or dishonor -- the Praxians honor the fact that their ancestors managed to survive when no one else did.

> > Because of that, I would think that the Praxians and Oasis People would not particularly want to desecrate the Copper Sands.

> The Oasis People might have a closer relation to the folk in Genert's Garden, although Prax
> always was friendly to but separate from Genert's realm.
>
> I don't think that the beast nomads would have too much respect to use these dead oasis folk.
> The only earth walkers they respect are those of the Paps. I can imagine that some Praxians
> would be proud to know that their bones would fight on as weapons of their descendants.

The animals nomads have a distorted view of both Genert and Tada. They think that these great Giants of the past would know the Praxians as their true people. In some ways, the nomads therefore behave as if they were reciprocating and honorable relationship. They revere places where Genert or Tada were known to have done something. The fact that they are terribly mistaken about how Genert or Tada would react to them is beside the point.

So, they don't think of copper sands as being anything like dead oasis folk. Oasis folk are lazy, feckless, dirt-grubbing weaklings. The copper folk fought Chaos beyond their own lives, and still do. Whenever Storm Bull rages at chaos near the copper sands, the copper spirits rise as part of his gale.

The notion of using people-bones for weapons is kind of repugnant. That's what the cannibal cult does. It is OK to use animal-bones because that's part of the covenant of the eaters and eaten. Using people-bones as tools is contrary to the covenant.

Chris