Re: Clan generation questions

From: David Dunham <david_at_Y5YiudypszLuds6f4wr_6DEecM5MdeP7MgYbJtD8sSEnrJ_M0fLXPmOKj8AFk2fTkq71qd>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:27:06 -0800

On 20 Nov 2011, at 10:07, Jeff wrote:

> What's a Star Captain? A god who came down from the stars to fight off the Darkness to save your people. Or maybe a hero who went to the stars and came back with magical Fire power from the Sky. Or maybe it is a star that stayed in heaven but also shined the way for your people. It is whatever you want it to be, need it to be, or think it would cool to be.

And sometimes you can be a bit more mundane. For example, a captain leads men. A leader of men who wears a star is (in our army at least) a general. So a Star Captain is another way of describing a general -- a great military leader who won many battles on behalf of your ancestors.

One key here is that

  1. Your players don't know Glorantha either. So whatever you make up is automatically right.
  2. A couple of your players know about Glorantha. But as long as your interpretation is interesting, it's going to expand their view of Glorantha. (All of the Star Captains above are plausible.) Again, you can't get it wrong.

Glorantha does help sharpen your creative focus by spelling out some basics (e.g. runes, mountain-sized dragons, beast-riding Praxians). But it's a setting where you can just worry about creating an interesting and colorful story for your players.

And the clan questionnaire is kind of a random idea generator that also gives everyone some idea of the shared background. Flesh out the ideas as needed.

David Dunham