Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_mlWm3EaAhR5SfYVh8gDQcWAsFRI9mIuDuoqNftTA8Lij6Y4gHkgseIHHObLUMa4fV-w>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:58:02 -0500

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_5H0KpuIqMt161nkGJu4_THsayjQX0gP2CUxMK1al9S9diGz8yya214qagz4GjQUT_pKH7P06KcTG2Q.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Larsen:
> Also, why did the Ogres become Ogres in the Darkness? If it wasn't
> > eating other humans for sustenance, then what explanation gives a
> > better story?
>
> Human tribes who sold their souls to Cacodemon to survive the Great
> Darkness? (Griffin Island, Cacodemon Miscellaneous Notes)

Huh, that's a better story? Ever see the movie Ravenous? Now there is an Ogre story!

But, OK, assuming that Anaxial's Roster is wrong, and worshipping Cacodemon is the real origin of Ogres, doesn't that just turn the Cacodemon problem around? I mean, we have several facts:

  1. Ogres are associated with cannibalism (or, at the very least looking like humans while eating humans)
  2. Ogres primarily worship Cacodemon
  3. Cacodemon doesn't seem to care much about eating humans

So, why does a race whose primary characteristic (at least as villains) is that they look like humans but will eat humans worship a being that doesn't care who you eat?

And, while we are at it, could Cacodemon get a new name? The one he's got is very generic, and I hate to think of him slumming in Doom.....

Peter Larsen