Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_aLJCtexFtML-7ZeDxs4OmQhvZ40EBrSv0zGJi8jEEAwwe1FB_gpJhXxgWMGYnrwqdpC>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:22:31 -0500

Peter,

Thanks for the summary of points of view; seeing it all in one place is helpful.

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_vPm2w1fj3KSAk6ZYYIdJNjqa6bWcFWu8NtjWpgS5dlOSZahuuf8czK-gAME3ZFPyctQ07YIRVAdQAeZSYmqUqzY1tg.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> **
> Lastly Peter Larsen brought up the Ravenous movie. My problem with
>
> translating that to Glorantha is that the Wendigo taboo (like pretty
> much all taboos) is one of absolute liability. If one performs the act,
> then the taboo has been broken _regardless_ of intention: Boyd still
> became touched by the Wendigo even though he was eating from an already
> dead body to save himself. If a god promotes a cannibalistic rite then
> the god is promoting a chaotic rite. It's like incest; it doesn't
> matter if you didn't know the person was closely related to you - it's
> still disgustingly icky and you should be ashamed of yourself. If you
> require a guilty mind to go with the action, then what you have is no
> longer a taboo but something closer in spirit to criminal legislation.
> While I could accept some gloranthan religions (ie the Kralori and the
> Malkioni) be concerned with the rightness or wrongness of one's thought,
> I find it difficult to believe that Chaos would be so dependent on one's
> mental state.

I think it's a little more complicated than this. You have to have an act that is:

  1. Against Your Gods/Spirits/Saints -- Some acts will be taboo in one place but not another. Incest is bad in pretty much all cultures, but different cultures define incest differently. So, in Orlanthi society, sex with a clan mate is incest, while Pelorians might count degrees of kinship by generations, and some Westerners might need a priest to establish a firm ruling on whether a relationship was consanguineous or not. They all agree that the act is wrong, but the specific definition of the act varies from place to place (and from individual to individual; it is not hard to iamgine a society where incest is forbidden for everyone except the royal family, who have special rites to allow it or something). Maybe it's just that every person is "protected from chaos" by the mores of their culture as laid down by the gods/spirits/whatever.*
  2. Done knowingly -- Something that is done with full knowledge. So, chaos doesn't get the person who unknowingly eats human meat by a ruse or marries her brother because of some Shakespearean mistaken identity plot. That doesn't mean that the deceived person/people are off the hook -- their divine protectors may well know what is up and turn their faces away -- bad luck, failed rituals, etc are likely to follow. If the deceived person figures out their crime and makes restitution, they may escape chaos (of course, restitution may involve death and./or damnation, but, hey, it's better than chaos, right? Someone who does something aware of what they are doing is in much more danger.
  3. Once Is Risky; Repeated Behavior Is Worse -- So the guy who eats a dead companion while trapped in a snowstorm has done something horrible and needs to atone, possibly fatally. A worse outcome is the guy who eats that companion and feels OK about it. Maybe he had Ogre blood somewhere, maybe the violation has let chaos into his heart, whatever. He will be tempted to repeat the act to get the thrill of violation again, (Not Glorantha, but the Lovecraft story "The Picture in the House" is a good narrative of the process) and that's the slippery slope -- he basically abandons himself to the crime.
  4. Not Otherwise Covered by Your Pantheon -- This is probably overcomplicated, but I imagine that some pantheons have evil but not chaotic gods that "take charge" of certain sins. So kinstrife is profoundly disruptive to Orlanthi society, but people not wholly lost to the cosmos can "take refuge" in Gargath, whereas a upper class Solar son who kills his father may not have anywhere to "hide." Humakti can kill relatives, although no one is likely to thank them for it, most cultures would treat murder of your family as taboo.

So I think that "eat human flesh turns you into an Ogre" is too simplistic from an absolute view, although perhaps it's what the average person on the street in Glorantha thinks.

I think part of the problem with this discussion is that different real world people have different comfort levels, and a set of game rules and descriptions of cultures can't address them all. So, some players and GMs might be perfectly happy with stories which have greater or lesser amounts of rape, murder, cannibalism, and whatever to add frisson to the proceedings. Other people, with different histories, might not find such stories fun and want something else. I guess I am revolted by cannibalism, and don't really want it in my Glorantha as anything done by non-villainous people. I have a friend who has suffered some significant police brutality, and, if that person was in my gaming group, I would be very careful about introducing police brutality (or even the police in general) into adventures. The point is to have fun, not trigger flashbacks or make players feel bad.

Peter Larsen