Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_UamkJv-9OSWCRun7rEDxJgzGMl4Bec3UJ7bsNxkx55CazHJBE6NZuN3jP2vRmP5vTQt>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 22:38:55 +1300

On 11/29/2011 1:46 AM, simon_hibbs2 wrote:
> The thought of Orlanthi priests intentionally causing people to become broo is just extraordinarily bizzare.
Why? Talor turned the Telmori into Werewolves. Since the Gods cannot send agents of reprisal against their worshippers due to the Great Compromise unless at priestly instigation, it seems logical to me (and not extraordinary bizarre) the the act of turning someone chaotic requires a magical invocatrion.
> Anyway, here's Greg saying explicitly that certain acts inherently carry a risk of getting a chaos taint:
>
> http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a/chaos_taint.html
Aquiring a chaos taint, not becoming a broo (and it does nothing to change my opinion that a magical ritual is required in addition to Bad Works). If you disagree, can you give figures for a) the number of Lunar troops in Dragon Pass that become Broos every year, b) the number of Orlanthi that become Broos every year and c) the number of Praxians that become Broos every year.

> I think is up for debate is what other factors might affect the level of risk and to what extent if intentionality plays a part, e.g. regarding Troll funerary rites in which since the deceased troll was not killed for the purpose of providing a meal it's apparently ok.

If the act is chaotic then the intent behind the act doesn't matter as chaos is not about being or thinking evil. The "God told me to do so and so it's not chaotic" implies that the gods can make a chaotic act nonchaotic which I find absurd. It's like a law declaring that Pi is three.

--Peter Metcalfe