Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_KqrpFXqqx4-7DwuqsQboE21jksND6uacOqROin40GizLeNt3Sj7at-ObRaczpTI6>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:46:10 -0000

The thought of Orlanthi priests intentionally causing people to become broo is just extraordinarily bizzare. Anyway, here's Greg saying explicitly that certain acts inherently carry a risk of getting a chaos taint:

http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a/chaos_taint.html

I think is up for debate is what other factors might affect the level of risk and to what extent if intentionality plays a part, e.g. regarding Troll funerary rites in which since the deceased troll was not killed for the purpose of providing a meal it's apparently ok.

I don't think it's a simple as "I didn't know I was eating a pie made from my wife, so that makes it ok", but it's my opinion that it is sometimes possible to manage the risks of invoking chaos. It looks a lot to me like the Maran Gor priestesses and the Cannibal Cult know how to do what they do without running the same risks as your man on the street would doing the same thing. I don't think they can completely eliminate the risks though. They are still doing something extremely dangerous and it's quite possible for it all to go horribly wrong.

Simon Hibbs