Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_qtWpw6Hr7HvGh4G7sum_aXR8RSlEpCeDHmeaKa6ynQVP28_VlRpzx1CdIKOug5TTO4m>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 22:55:51 +1300

On 11/29/2011 7:45 AM, boztakang wrote:
> When a Thanatari steals heads for his own use, it's chaotic, because is denying the victim a natural death.
But when an Orlanthi does the same? Some do take human heads after all. Or is the action of making a ghost chaotic? The journey to the afterlife is delayed which seems to me to be a feature of an unnatural death. I prefer to resolve this conumdrum (and others) by saying that the Thanatari severed heads are chaotic because chaos magic is used in their creation which gives them some bonus not available to the Orlanthi when they make severed heads.

> When Orlanth steals a dragons head, it's ok, because it is Orlanth's nature to kill monsters and take trophies.

The trouble is that it is also the Ogre's nature to prey on humanity from within and the Broo's nature to rape whatever they please. Which is why I don't think the argument that actions in accordance with one's nature are nonchaotic actions is a convincing one. It's an argument that many gloranthans would make which is why I have been careful not to dispute gloranthan beliefs that cannibalism is chaotic etc.

--Peter Metcalfe