Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_2cO52EVsrKy7Qg2gcmSENlv6_lCT9XK5N5r5GPDUDiSjlq5ivAVACuWhxUusSf8i>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:15:01 -0000

YGWV I suppose.

> > Anyway, here's Greg saying explicitly that certain acts inherently carry a risk of getting a chaos taint:
> >
> > http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a/chaos_taint.html
> Aquiring a chaos taint, not becoming a broo ...

A fine hair to split, but ok.

> ....(and it does nothing to
> change my opinion that a magical ritual is required in addition to Bad
> Works).

YGWV again. I think that's within the reasonable bounds of interpretation, but to me playing in a game under those rules would feel a bit like playing in Glorantha with safety catches on all the time.

> ...If you disagree, can you give figures for a) the number of
> Lunar troops in Dragon Pass that become Broos every year, b) the number
> of Orlanthi that become Broos every year and c) the number of Praxians
> that become Broos every year.

More than anyone is comfortable admitting?

> > I think is up for debate is what other factors might affect the level of risk and to what extent if intentionality plays a part, e.g. regarding Troll funerary rites in which since the deceased troll was not killed for the purpose of providing a meal it's apparently ok.
>
> If the act is chaotic then the intent behind the act doesn't matter as
> chaos is not about being or thinking evil.

I think magical acts often involve thoughts, feelings and altered states of conciousness and these are magical acts. I don't think that intentionality is THE thing that makes an act chaotic or not. I think the act of cannibalism is inherently chaotic. No matter what your intention, there is a chance of chaos taint. However intentionality is like a multiplying factor. Otherwise I don't know how to account for practices like those of the Cannibal Cult and Maran Gor or the Black Sun that seem to mostly get away with it. (Note the 'mostly' though).

> ...The "God told me to do so
> and so it's not chaotic" implies that the gods can make a chaotic act
> nonchaotic which I find absurd. It's like a law declaring that Pi is three.

I agree with you on this completely. I don't at all think that gods get to decide this, but I do think some of them know certain paths that can be used to navigate the hazard.

Simon Hibbs