Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: donald_at_mc844LS3-4DAdANM6qPdQixiSfCIYThMqD0pVONAR2vE5lRwJTBwQdID9dsV7_tAYMysH
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:01:57 -0000

> On 11/29/2011 2:02 AM, donald_at_PCfat2dON6Lk7qObbg-KmYQ7Z-m5QImmOHpQRcCUJuBF1jezHyvvDL6Lziy3EGvj5bSBxdD_F77k69k2h4QzXjSDxA.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> > Peter Metcalfe
> >> We are not given an example of a rapist turning into a Broo or how a
> >> rapist would turn into a Broo so it's not a refutation of my theory of
> >> chaotic damnation through magic and bad works. I'm inclined (at least
> >> for the Orlanthi) to think the transformation is a curse invoked by the
> >> Orlanthi Priests as they already have a mythic justification for it
> >> (King of Sartar p77). They prefer to send the Babeestor Gori nowadays
> >> because turning someone into a broo is a bit too close to chaos for
> >> their liking.
> > There's nothing in KOS to suggest that Orlanth cursed Ragnaglar to become the father of
> > broos.
>
> I never said he did. What I was referring to was Orlanth making Thed
> the Goddess of Rape as compensation for her injury.

I'm not convinced Orlanth actually made Thed into the Goddess of Rape. Rather he accepted her choice which was possibly made because Orlanth was unwilling to outlaw Ragnaglar.

Even by your interpretion Orlanth does not curse the rapist but the rape victim. Which is possible but does not fit well with the concept of Ernalda as Orlanth's equal. Only Ernalda the Doormat would accept such "justice".

The whole myth is very dodgy with the idea of Thed punishing her enemy (presumably Orlanth) by hurting Ernalda and her daughters. That only makes sense if the old concept of women being the property of their fathers or husbands applies. Perhaps a hangover from the rule of Yelm.

Certainly I see Heortlings interpreting the myth as "bad choices lead to chaos" with Babeester Gor being Ernalda's solution if Orlanth is reluctant to deal effectively with the problem.

--
Donald Oddy