Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_ASfPb8QpnODOyeC6qfpF_dGc1CVCs2BaUd_6HRvFQ21JZnSzKWxZbv-FoBy8cnO8wD>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:20:07 +0000

Paul King <paul_at_l_z4R-TUiOmzZ37Sg9XASteJLaNRr6Os5SNNbMH5LZXVR7PMCcXYi4D7dIQ1SoXVATmkHaH8ShEjHBd0jd_s.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>The cannibal cult, Karrg's Sons, Maran Gor etc. can (largely) avoid the risk of Chaos associated with cannibalism because they connect to other myths, secrets of their cult which override any "default" connections. If done properly. Most of the time.

You know, maybe we're asking the wrong question. Maybe it isn't "How come Maran Gor and the Cannibal Cult can eat people without turning chaotic? Maybe it's "How come nobody has noticed that Maran Gor and the Cannibal Cult *are* Chaotic? :)

And the answer, of course, is that they're recognised, accepted parts of their respective societies, and everybody's used to them, and they don't *look* like broo or walktapi or other obvious tentacled Chaos monstrosities. Foreigners are Chaotic, not our own people.

Besides, if a Maran Gor worshipper does start to grow tentacles despite taking every precaution - well, she'll be the star participant at the next sacrificial feast, and the problem will be neatly covered over again with nobody outside the cult any the wiser.

("What's that, Mr Storm Bull? Bad headaches whenever you come near the Maran Gor temple? Well, it must be because of our strong Earth power dragging down your Air connection. Why don't you go and fight some Scorpion Men or something way over *there*, far away where you won't get affected so badly? Good lad.")

Stephen