Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Paul King <paul_at_uqRv128-MO6ClcdT8yaGTfuzHhy2R45JrpW1sbl1ucJqgq1fakaHs2X4m2qHV18_VAwkEss>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:05:33 +0000

On 29 Nov 2011, at 17:45, simon_hibbs2 wrote:

> Our difference seems to be that I think the act itself is inherently chaotic, but other factors modify the chances of chaos actually manifesting. You think there's no chance of chaos manifesting unless there are other factors. Is that right?

So long as it is understood that the "other factors" are mythic connections and that as far as I know there are none that would allow non-chaotic rape. Cannibalism seems to be different.

> Yes. There's even a place in the Godtime where Ragnaglar isn't, but if you try to invoke magic using the myths of Ragnaglar from before he became chaotic, don't expect that to work out for you very well. There's no way that's going to be risk free. The whole point of the myths are that certain actions entail certain consequences.

But the point is that Ragnaglar's rape of Thed doesn't appear to be chaotic, and in and of itself isn't sufficient to cause Chaos to manifest. The myth sets (or even IS) the pattern, rather than simply following it. (And Ragnaglar's myths are useless for magic anyway because Ragnaglar is dead-dead).

> This reminds me of the saying that stories with happy endings are stories that haven't actually ended yet. That's by the bye though.
>

>> If these things were not true, it would not be possible to experience the myths of Thed as HeroQuests (not that I think that many people would want to !)

> None of which changes the fact that in Glorantha rape is a chaotic act, because all of the myths are all true right now.

So far as I know there are no other rape-myths so I'd agree with that. Cannibalism is another question, and I think that my approach offers a possible explanation of how Maran Gor followers can sometimes indulge without growing tentacles or turning into ogres or broo.