Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Rob Thornton <oblate777_at_g5ETel4Nytyjhku027sc9rBnmiuvZahtxlpjSEEiH_JdRK8RYL0HCXz8ocW6bzTeRP>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:28:36 -0500

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM, simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_mQl7PnWjW8UWUVMps9Ctzc9TTJphKMUT2TICsPH-1bkDIb-iyBzVe2SzwtKgI3D1HqU5pQAs1z51-io.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/30/2011 12:40 AM, simon_hibbs2 wrote:
> > > I don't think that's a meaningful distinction. The act and the god are
> the same thing and it's essentially meaningless to pick them apart like
> that.
> >
> > So what happens if there's two gods for the same act? Like say the
> > Cannibal Cult and Cacodemon?
> >
> > --Peter Metcalfe
> >

> I thought you were saying that Cacodemon isn't the god of cannibalism.
> Maybe you're right. glorantha.com says he's god of anarchy.

This would line up with Nick Eden's point that ogres are said to practice cannibalism "in secret." Cacodemon would favor such an act because they would be doing it outside of society's rules (or there would be an appropriate myth which makes cannibalism a legitimate community practice.) Thus, chaos.

On the other hand, would this make ogre communities unlikely? They would always have to be part of someone else's society (reminiscent of the cuckoo in some respects). This would line up with the descriptions I have read in the Glorantha literature. Perhaps an ogre society is impossible (Kropotkin's mutual aid? PAH!) or just unlikely. Would Ayn Rand suit an ogre?

Rob