Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_to44ccLGanvitdCDXTAV8Jix_0ui3kX0mayOuOheOgjVenGfIhj7aCUfeYXsn8OB>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:30:40 -0000

It's like the difference between killing, murder and patricide. They're different things, but Patricide can be all of them. Not all of them invite chaos. They're like layers of an onion, or Russian dolls, the same yet different.

There are still some great articles on glorantha.com that are difficult or impossible to reach within the site. I had to do a google site search to find them. Here's one on Chaos in Glorantha:

http://www.glorantha.com/library/world/intro-chaos.html

It has a list of 'evil gods'. The takeaway for me is that there is a gradation from evil to chaos. Gods, cults and people can be evil without being chaotic, but evil invites chaos into the world. It weakens the natural defences of the universe against encroachment by chaos. I think the cannibal cult definitely belongs on the evil cult list (but was too small to make the shortlist given).

I would not put the Maran Gor cult on an evil cults list, but I think there are certain esoteric practices of the cult that come a bit close for comfort, as there are for the Humakt cult for that matter. Humakt actually did make one of the lists here:

http://www.glorantha.com/library/priests/chaos.html

I'm looking at you, Makla Mann! Don't give me all the "who, me?" innocent looks crap. You know what I'm talking about:

http://www.nikkeffingham.com/runequest/leadcro.htm

Simon Hibbs