Re: Sources for Hero quests

From: David Cake <dave_at_jX3rGwKN7Icbcnfucy7NrhdTogGym8-sdW3MJsbMrkEj4zNSCrYk8VlMKC2RpIE_zjl2Wix>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:47:49 +0800

        I think the most useful resources for learning to run heroquests are those few examples we have were we have both the myth as known, and an example of how that works in practice. The Justice Staff quest in the Sartar Companion is a particularly good example. The heroquests from KODP are also pretty good.

        Once you have a bit of a feel for how the myth translates to practice, then more myths are very useful. It is really good to have a bunch of info to draw on for inspiration, even better for your players to have that info and bring their own inspiration to the game (for example, the players themselves to suggest a particular heroquest myth as a solution to a big problem). Heortling mythology has lots of really useful stuff in that regard - heroquests for fighting various traditional enemies, specific paths for various Heortling deities, etc.

        I think the Stafford Compendium book about Heroquesting, Arcane Lore, is really NOT that useful to a beginner. It has a lot of stuff left over from discarded ideas about heroquesting, discarded mechanics from bygone eras, outdated ideas about the myths of various eras. It is a mildly useful, and quite fun, tome to mine for inspiration once you are able to tell what is outdated and what is still part of current thinking, though.

        Cheers

		David