Re: More Westerners' stuff

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_rKOCOYC-m-3uw7LJYYVctZbyfMQiSdz2KXjFcAoFykwemCP35x3ZNQUOO3-T>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:52:06 +0000 (GMT)

I agree with a lot of Herve's points.

Personally I thought there was a lot of Medieval Italy in the superficial look and feel of the city-states of central Safelster, as written up c. Genertela Crucible of the Hero Wars. The analogy is imperfect of course, because "the Church"  is very different. Also whilst there certainly was religious and political intrigue in these cities, there wasn't anything quite like fractious Arkati philosophies/conspiracy theories behind it.

To explain my views on Medievalism in MRQ's Fronela, I think quite a lot of the Medievalism here comes when you get to Sog City. Also the explanation of caste (and positions within castes) in the Fronela book comes at the subject through the prism of mid-late Medieval feudalism, and describes a society with similar  social strata, only with the major twist that social advancement is largely based on merit rather than birthright.

I would not have thought that a book on Fronela written by Moon Design in 2012 would do this.

Within Hrestolism I always wondered about the extent to which the son of a pig farmer spent his time in the labouring caste in the same way as the son of a squire, the son of a scrivener or the son of a Count? (Are Hrestoli clergy celibate, or do they have sons too?). Was it easier for the son of a minor lord to do their time as as someone's page rather than hewing wood and drawing water, for example? Likewise were acolythists like interns (who eventually expected to be wizards in their own right), or was it a skilled trade that someone might pursue throughout their working life?

I think I know what Herve means about sorcery's atheist roots. Whilst it is literally true of the Brithini, does this mean that there is no veneration or worship of any other kind (other than furtive paganism) amongst either the Hrestoli or Rokari? (Henotheists and Stygians have their lesser or 'visible' gods to fall back on -- or do they?) Also how can one have atheist 'liturgists'? (Unless the point is that there are no liturgists in the New West).

Do most Third Age Malkioni see themselves as atheists in the way that, say, Brithini do?

That said I can see what Herve means about even monotheists from the West seeming like atheists to people from the barbarian belt-- and about atheism being so incomprehensibly weird, and wrong, to Gloranthan theists.

Richard Hayes