Re: My Name is Legion (was Is Spell Trading the hallmark of a vampire squid? (was: Vampirism))

From: donald_at_bALTKZ-dKKdJl6BL3zTUA9KhYj5zI6OjCMFygaxL8XYd8Xd3DYGbOF4DrML6Dxo_AxKQe
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:58:12 -0000

Peter Metcalfe
> On 12/17/2011 11:28 AM, David Scott wrote:
> > The Glorantha boxed set says that the Lunar Empire has a "legion of
> > Vampires" (a Roman legion was about 5000), I'd say they were all the
> > same sort, it would make the canteen easier to run.
>
> The legion is rumoured. Since they were bodyguards of the Red Emperor
> (according to King of Sartar) and the Emperor doesn't have five thousand
> vampires following him around, I suspect the number is twenty tops.

The Imperial Bodyguard in WBRM is three units of cavalry and three of infantry - about 4,500 soldiers - none of which appear to be vampires. So I don't think the Emperor is followed about by his entire bodyguard. The Imperial Bodyguard is a name for the assortment of elite units which guard palaces, the Emperor, Great Sister and important temples. One of those units could be made up of vampires but I can't see it being any bigger than other lunar regiments. Alternatively it could be organised as a magical unit with mostly minions and guards protecting and supporting a number of vampires. Even then I'd put the number at about 100 rather than as low as twenty.

--
Donald Oddy