Re: unlife in sartar

From: Kenrae <kenrae_at__ifv-I3x-Bp5RlOewYgP4v8pVaIJhU_d4Kck0Gz4aLbQdygaHZJr3xJfs2-OYIgMWZVUF>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:17:48 +0100

In Spanish "Death" is "Muerte". But we wouldn't say "Vivamuerte", we'd say "Viva la muerte". Coincidentaly, "Mort" is Death in Catalan, another latin language. The same expression would be then "Visca la mort". The problem is that, while the root in both cases comes from life ("vida" in both languages) and it means "long live" it has lost its connection to live. Nobody says "viva" or "visca" and thinks about "vida". It's more like saying "hurra".

There's the more poetic "larga vida" in Spanish or "llarga vida" in Catalan, with the same exact meaning than "long live". That would be more suitable.

Regards,
  Sergi Díaz