Re: Cannibalism in Prax (was Bestiality in Prax?)

From: David Cake <dave_at_dNqrbNeCbyBM0dbw8y7_LnxNl9XMcw-1u4-DWW1U_DvhFZUmycEedEqlh_ZQIhppVl1QqF8>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:34:35 +0800

On 22/02/2012, at 12:48 PM, Chris Lemens wrote:

> Simon Phipp says many things.
>
> +1
>
> He also says one thing with which I quibble:
>

>> The Cannibal Cult, Agimori, Basmoli Berserkers and Ostrich Riders are
>> all Praxian tribes who are not part of the Survival Covenant. They have
>> earned their place in Prax and nobody wants to get rid of them.

> I would say that all but the Cannibal Cult are tolerated because they act nearly appropriately and they are useful. A Khan is not going to turn away an agimori clan that wants to travel with them. Sure, they're really outlanders, but they have been here so longz that they don't realy act like it. But I think the cannibal cult is a little different. I can't imagine any khan wanting them along in the clan's travels. And they are pretty self sufficient. But a khan with an opportunity would probably prefer to attack them. Of course, if there were horse riders around, he would team up with the cannibals.

        The cannibal cult is, in its most basic form, necessary propitiary worship that gets the hungry ghosts off your back for a while. In that form, it is horrible but occasionally necessary (or at least, preferable to being eaten by hungry ghosts). In that form, it is sometimes valued, if not loved, by the khans.

        But the problem with the cannibal cult is that individual members can gain personal power, and see the cult rites as an end in itself, rather than simply a fairly drastic solution to ghosts. Then it becomes a problem.

	The cannibal cultists aren't really a 'people' like the Basmoli, but nor are they something un-Praxian like horses. The cannibal cult is an unpleasant fact of Praxian life, like hyenas or Storm Bull, sometimes useful and sometimes a terrible problem.
	Cheers
		David