Re: Infinity, Stasis, Magic in S:KoH

From: David Cake <dave_at_trUukoNP1BGh8lN5cTt7XHXR_JUBR5EPgSAm8zuADvk7Q8ftWVpboTp3EAfTYYYLMB_dWSf>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 00:39:37 +0800

On 08/05/2012, at 12:07 AM, Trotsky wrote:
> Is it a very common rune in Malkioni society? Sure, just as Air is to
> Orlanthi,

        Less so than Orlanthi, I think. Malkioni don't need to be rational to use their magic, and I think that, lacking a magical compulsion towards certain personality traits the way divine magic users do, their personalities probably do vary more widely.

        I think the characteristics of the Law rune (rational, deductive, etc) are seen as virtuous in Malkioni society, but that doesn't mean they are that common, any more than average Christians are compassionate and forgiving.

> I'd use the rune to represent particularly pious or rational characters,
> many of whom will, of course, be wizards.

        Particularly rational, I'd think. The pious and the rational are theoretically the same, but I'm sure Malkionism has its share of religious fanatics who accept its tenets without question and aren't really as rational as they think they are. Actually, the Stasis rune makes a pretty good rune for that.

> Same with trolls; giving them the Darkness rune is a bit like giving
> humans the Man rune - its kind of assumed anyway, and doesn't need to be
> specifically listed. But any troll turning up as an NPC or something in
> an Orlanthi game I'd say has Darkness, because that's a dramatic
> contrast to the PCs in that sort of game.

	Yes, you don't have to give the troll a Darkness rune just for being a troll, but most are also in Darkness based religions and wielding Darkness based magic. I think the Darkness rune for trolls is at least as common as the Air Rune in Orlanthi society, probably more.
	Cheers

		David