Re: Ompalam

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_HQdhpmuqpU5Jfrwdhkhyc_uywvb2l2--eEIJt3IqseWcSDjdvbyLoLN9oJCQCCbWDct>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 12:36:06 +1200

On 8/17/2012 7:26 AM, Daniel wrote:

> So, what's the current take on Ompalam? Does he have no connection with Chaos at all now? Or is it all some kind of trick on his part?

I argued against the chaotic association primarily on the basis that Gods of Glorantha and RuneQuest 3 Book 5 doesn't actually describe him as chaotic, he is merely the god of coercion and slavery whereas other gods in the array are described as such ie Thed "Chaos source of the Broos, goddess of rape...", Vivamort, "Chaos God, God of Vampires" while Gods like Ikadz, Malia and Gbaji are not so described.

There are still strong chaotic associations in Fonrit. In the Fonritan overview, the Masarin Sorceror is mentioned as:

         Runes that could be on her include the Chaos Rune, the Fire Rune, the Mastery Rune, the Law Rune, the Moon Rune, and the

         Illusion Rune.

         http://moondesignpublications.com/page/fonritan

Which indicates some level of acceptance in that I don't know of many other societies in which one openly wears the chaos rune and lives. That said, the reaction of the Fonritans to the prophecies of Acac the Revivivier (Missing Lands p70) indicates a society which hates chaotics.

--Peter Metcalfe