Re: Ompalam

From: Kenrae <kenrae_at_ROCH0L3dBLmUCMhs8N7QHowZr3heJkwnfQsbUTos0fVEbxsxYYuJJE14Ft_Chwgo94UBe>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:33:56 +0200

2012/8/20 simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_zhrJfG08_Rail4RhEjVWEfHApCUWUEEeNXZdy-nvXHKlBSybbox7d2VM4ThzmdKrBaguOsR5OTP8lOw.yahoo.invalid>

> **
>

> wrote:
> >

> > I really don't get this. I don't see how a specific action performed
> > with one aim in mind (ie purification) somehow becomes completely
> > chaotic when performed with a totally different aim in mind (ie for shit
> > and giggles). Chaos is a mindless amorphous protoplasm outside
> > glorantha - that it should enter glorantha dependent on the mental state
> > suggests that it inherently obeys modern legal concepts regarding the
> > division between the guilty mind and the guilty act.
>
> I think it obeys inherently Gloranthan magical concepts, such as the
> distinction between a mundane act (murdering a bound captive) and a magical
> act (sacrificing a bound offering).
>
> The way I think about this is that each culture or religion makes a
> magical pact with the universe. They sign up to a complex set of rituals,
> oaths, taboos, invocations, compacts and initiations. Taken as a whole
> these constitute a deal, or series of interlocking deals made between the
> individual, the community and the spiritual forces of the universe.
>
> There are explicit references to stuff like this in the sources. The Great
> Compromise and the Praxian's Survival Pact are explicitly magical deals of
> this kind. Spirits of Reprisal are examples of a magical backlash against
> breaking such a deal. So the components of this interpretation already
> exist. This is just a more holistic take on the same ideas.
>
> The terms of these deals vary hugely from one culture or religion to the
> the consequences of breaking them, in whole or in part, also vary
> considerably.
>
> So it makes sense to me that a particular act made by one person in one
> culture has one consequence, while the same act performed by someone else
> in another culture has different consequences or even no consequences at
> all. If one person has a cultural taboo against that act, detailed in his
> mythology and empowered by his initiations and oaths taken at assuming
> adulthood, then of course performing that act is going to have severe
> consequences that would shock and surprise someone from a different culture
> with no such traditions.
>
> Simon Hibbs

You just repeated my views.

IMG, an orlanthi raping someone is a chaotic act, because their mythology says so. A malkioni doing it is "only" an evil act.

Regards,
  Sergi