Re: Ompalam

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Ff1rKqewsFgX3WIlcNB1ZFdaehCgIinO8dNGeuEFLKm3Hf_7CWNpnOPmG46dDTQ8igx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:28:13 +1200

On 8/21/2012 12:27 AM, simon_hibbs2 wrote:

>> I really don't get this. I don't see how a specific action performed
>> with one aim in mind (ie purification) somehow becomes completely
>> chaotic when performed with a totally different aim in mind (ie for shit
>> and giggles). Chaos is a mindless amorphous protoplasm outside
>> glorantha - that it should enter glorantha dependent on the mental state
>> suggests that it inherently obeys modern legal concepts regarding the
>> division between the guilty mind and the guilty act.

> I think it obeys inherently Gloranthan magical concepts, such as the distinction between a mundane act (murdering a bound captive) and a magical act (sacrificing a bound offering).

We are talking about *chaotic* acts. How does a magical presence somehow make it nonchaotic? If a (particularly bad) God Learner were to create a rite to summon a magical presence during his rapes, would that make his crimes nonchaotic?

Moreover not every cannibalistic act is performed as part of a ritual. Take the well known trollkin burger served at the Thunderbreath Gobbleguts restaurant for example. Are the trolls when eating it performing a mundane act of cannibalism (and so become chaotic) or are they performing a magical act (doubtful - it's a burger!)

--Peter Metcalfe