OT Skates

From: Bo Rosén <brosen_at_9ASZzHffW_zGdzJKwPWO5YAm9g8K6UgDyZYWQfYox87Zx3VNkqc2V9vlJHkMa01lRxH0s>
Date: 22 Feb 2002 09:27:12 +0100

tor 2002-02-21 klockan 19.58 skrev Michael Schwartz:

> Balanced clans ran away to preserve their lives, and gain the wyter
> blessing Skate Marvels.

Skates?
Horrible visions of Holiday Glorantha on Ice and a travelling Skovari band performing on the frozen mountain lochs spring to mind, re-enacting Orlanth's triumphs over the Evil Emperor. Colourful costumes and impressive sets for the Emperor's Palace and Orlanth's camp.

But skates seem less likely to me for heortlings than skis. What would they skate on, no large lakes that I'm aware of between Skyfall and Coralinthor Bay, and I don't think the Engizi freezes over. Am I missing something?
You get alot of snow though and with skis we can have a nod to Swedish King Gustav Vasa (remembered every year in the large Cross Country Race "Vasaloppet") escaping the forces of the Evil Danes in the early 1500s. Elected King by patriotic Swedes he had to escape on skis, hid in a barn, wore a rough cloak above his gold-stiched shirt etc etc. Heroic stuff suitable for an Argrath.

Cheers,

        Bo