Re: Re: Resources thoughts

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_FMxCfiYi9PbVYuLYBNpt3DsSbHaFaVOpeAHXG07_lvfsuWQ6dWsxA_dzqOmqx6pmSCNy>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:58:43 -0800

> >Vegetables such as beans and mushrooms also
> >provide protein, potatoes and parsnips provide carbohydrates and vitamin
> >C (essential when citrus fruits are unknown or unavailable), carrots
> >provide vitamin A, cabbage and lettuce provide iron.

There will be lots of vegetables not familiar to modern palates as well. The listing that I did up in the flora and fauna essay was compiled in a similar research and discussion context as this one, and a very thorough trolling of the sources at the time.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/florafauna.html

While there's always room for expansion, and I'm not suggesting that the listing is by any means perfect, can I suggest that having a look at the listings and associated essays might save a fair bit of reinventing the wheel.

Sartar is tricky to describe. Our cultural analogues are European, but the landscape is primarily North American. We have an added overlay of the magical and unique, and background changes to seasons etc that means no animal or plant is quite like the ones we know on earth. There are also a few incidents in the early sources of generic fantasy or incipient DnDisms. The Sartarite ecology is partially magical: elements seem more important than evolution: we have plants that bloom only in shadow and cold frr instance. Gods and spirits tend to plants and animals, so worship may be more important than fertiliser. We have instances of giganticism that increase the further north you go. Giant insects, however, are moderately common.

All I can say is, thank goodness we're not trying to describe Prax!

And if you'd like to add to the flora fauna essays with paragraphs on particular foods and resources (like Ian's notes on alcohol, and the discussion we had on honey), please do! It's meant to be a dynamic resource, and a lot of the work being done here is to good to forget!

Here's a summary list of Sartarite crops and animal resources

Food Crops
Asparagus | Basil | Beans | Burdock (root) | Cameline (oil) | Carrot |

Coriander | Emer Wheat | Falseflax (oil) | Fennel | Footstoe | Garlic |
Gourd | Leek | Maize | Medlar | Melon | Millet | Mint | Oats | Onion |
Oregano | Parsley | Peas | Plums | Potato | Pumpkin | Radish | Retches | Rue

| Saffron (Sun Touch) | Sage (Mhy) | Samphire | Spelt | Spiceroot | Squash |
Stone Oil | Thyme | Toadtable | Truffle | Turnip | Vetches | Wheat | Wild Barley | Wild Blue Parsnip | Wild Snowgrape.

Domesticated or Food Animals
Honey Bee | Long-haired (Maned) Cattle | Dog | Dabray Doormouse (food animal) | Enlo | Horse | Humpbacked Ox | Kukbird (semi-domestic fowl) | Pelican (used for fishing) | Pigeon (food animal) | Pelorian Ass | Pig | Long-Maned Ram (Spreadhorn) | Shadowcat | Wild Sheep (somewhat domesticated)
| Fat-Tails (Milking Sheep) | 'Giant' Snail (food animal).

Major Wilderness Fauna
Alynx (wildcat or shadowcat, many species) | Sable Antelope | Auroch (rare, legendary, probably extinct) | Badger | Black Bear | Blue Bear | Cave Bear | Tree Bear | White Dwarf Bear | Beaver | Forest Bison | Boar (Razorback!) | Blue Boar | Horned Boar | Chamois | Chipmunk | Red Deer | Roe Deer | Snow Deer | Dinosaur (very rare in uplands, mainly smaller vegetarians, including stunted pentaceratops) | Dragonsnail | Elk (including giant species) |

Ferret | Red Fox | Frog | Tree Frog | Gorp | Griffin | Wild Goat | Hare |
Hedgehog | Wild Horse | Ibex | Krarshtkid (rare) | Lizard | Rock Lizard |
Lynx | Mammoth (rare or legendary) | Marmot | Crim Marten | Pine Marten |
Otter | Pika | Polecat (ferret) | Pronghorn | Razorback | Reindeer | Rodent
| Rubble Runner | Sabretooth Cat | Salamander (lizard) | Wild Sheep | Mole
Shrew | Snake | Grass Snake | Squirrel | Stoat | Tusker | Vole | Wapiti | Walktapus | Wood Vole | Weasel | Wolverine | Wildcat | Wolf.

Fish And Aquatic Animals
Burbot (Pricklefish) | Carp | Chub | Crab | Dace | Eel | Hell Salmon (eyeless, subterranean for most of life) | Lamprey (Lizardfish) | Rock Oyster | Perch | Pickeral | Pike | River Porpoise | Roach | Salmon | Sprat | Sturgeon | Trout | Giant Turtle | Snapping Turtle | Waterwolf (River Dragon)
| Whelk and many other freshwater species.

Birds
Blackbird | Bullfinch | Buzzard | Coot | Crane | Crossbill | Curlew | Demi-Bird | Didapper (Dabchick) | Diver | Egret | Ern | Falcon | Gyre Falcon
| Fuzztopper | Godwit | Goose | Goshawk | Grebe | Hazel Grouse | Wood Grouse
| Haggar (Wind Hawk, Goshawk, Sparrow Hawk) | Sun Haggar (golden eagle) |
Heron | Jay | Kestrel | Kingfisher (Halcyon) | Lake Wader | Lapwing |

Morganseer | Nighthunter (Haggar) | Nightingale | Nightjar | Owl |
Oyster-Catcher | Partridge | Pippit | Winged Plover | Red Throat | Ruff |
Starling | Stead Sparrow | Stonechat | Teal | Tit | Tree-Creeper | Turnstone

| Water Crow | Raven | Sandpiper | White Stork | Skylark | Little Stint |
Swan | Red Vulture | Warbler | Wheat Ear | Whinchat | Witch Bird | Woodlark
| Woodpecker.

Insects
Horned Beetle | Dungson | Louse | Marsh Fly | Maggot | Midge | Millipede | Scorpion | Snail | Worm | Slow Worm (legless lizard) | about ten million others.

Common Plants and Fungi
All Heal | Amberplant | Apple Plum | Armour Grass | Arroin's Lily | Athoforia (Aldryami) | Barley Wild-seed | Bastard Palm | Bellflower | Bilberry | Bird's Nest Orchid | Bittersweet Nightshade | Blackberry | Bluebell | Blueberry | Boarweed | Bramble | Briarhell (smaller variety than Dorastor's) | Brittle Bladder | Brown Hair Moss | Bryony | Bullrush | Buttercup | Buttercup Maiden (?) | Carnis | Calfonilla (Aldryami) | Clingvine (Aldryami) | Clothfern | Clover | Cold Orchid | Cotton Grass | Cow Bloom (Yolk of Egg) | Cranes-Bill | Dandelion | Day's Eye (Daisy) | Darkblooms (many species) | Darkdart Bush | Darkfoil (Aldryami) | Darkslip | Dead Nettles | Devil's Bit | Dock | Dog Mercury | Dour-root | Dragon Lily | Dreamweed (Aldryami) | Eel Grass | Elven Fighting Fungus (Aldryami) | Eurmal's Crumbs | Eyebright | Figwort | Fleabane | Flowering Rush | Forest Candle | Foxglove | Foxtail Lily | GallowMan | Gas Mushroom | Gas Plant | Giant Anemone | Giant Tarbush | Gooseberry | Great Bladderwort | Green Moss
| GreenCone | Hart's Tongue | Hawkbit | Hazia | Healbeet | Henbit | Herder's
Purse | Hobham Root | Iris | Jewelflor (Aldryami) | King's Spear (Asphodelus or Daffodil) | Knotweed | Kokolonni | Kraken Weed | Lady Slipper Orchid | Larkspur | Leechbush | Leopard's Bane | Lilac | Lily | Ling | Linseed | Lynxtooth | Mad Dog Mushroom | Masterwort | Meadow Thistle | Mee Vorala (Fungi) | Mistle Root | Monkshood | Moonwort | Moss | Mostal's Salad | Mustard | Ne'er Forget | Ne'er Forgive | NeverDie | Night Poppy | Nightshade
| Nymph Eye | Orlanth's Sceptre | Peacherry | Plantain | Poison Hemlock |
Pricklymelon | Primrose | Princess Plant (Aldryami) | Ragwort | Rainbowvine (Aldryami) | Ramson (Wild Garlic) | Red Clover | Red Thistle Men | Ribwood | Rosebay | Royal Fern | Rundown Toadstool | Runner Root | Sacred Time | Satin Flower | Saxifrage | Screamer (Aldryami) | Season-Grass | Sedge | Shield Fern | Silver Thistle | Soul Vine | Snowdrop (Nalda's Taper) | Sow Thistle | Spirit Moss | Spleenwort | Spurge | Star Captain (Aster) | Star-of-Love | Star-of-War | Sticky-whip | Stinging Nettle | StormHood | Sweet Pyse (Sweet Pea) | Tangibar | Tanglebriar (Aldryami) | Tansic (Everbloom, Carnation) | Tansy Ragwort | Tarsh Tomato | Tears of Hope) | Thievesbane (Aldryami) | Thistle | Tulip | Twayblade | Uleria's Crown (Rose) | Water Gourd | Water Lily | Water Soldier | Waymole | Were-Flower | Whipbush | Wild Rose | Willow Herb | Winter Gallant | Winter Grapes | Winter Wheat | Woad | Woad Warrior (Mamax) | Woodbine (Honeysuckle) | Wood Anemone | Wood Sorrel | Wormwood.

Common Trees And Large Scrubs
Alder | Thorn Apple | Ash (Black, Mountain, Blue, Green, Red, White and Stone varieties) | Aspen (Poplar - Trembling, Quaking and Screaming varieties) | Balsam (includes Red Balsam and the legendary High Balsam) | Basswood (Linden) | Sweet Bay | Beech | Birch (includes Black, Canoe, Paper, River, Silver, Sweet, White and River varieties) | Bitternut (Hickory) | BrooBud | Buck Eye | Butternut (White Walnut) | Cork | Crabapple | Creeper Tree (Marshbark) | Cyprus (including Bald and SkyDome varieties) | Elder (including Box Elder) | Elm (including Dinosaur Elm) | Hawthorn | Hemlock | Holly | Horn Beam | Irontree (Pine) | Swamp Maple | Mockernut | Never-Bend | Oak (including Sartar, Black, White, Steadfast, Pine and Willow varieties) | Pine (including Dwarf, White, Grey, and Geo's varieties) | Poplars (including Long-Tooth varieties) | Rootless Ones (Aldryami walking trees) | Shagbark | Silver Wood | Spruce | Storm Apple (rare) | Storm Cedar | Wailing Tree | Walnut | Willow (including Weeping, White and Ghost varieties) | Windberry Tree | Yelm Tree | Yew (Death Tree).

Cheers

John