Re: Tapping

From: Stephen McGinness <stephenmcg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:53:41 -0000

Hmm. No nibbles? Anyone see that I have time on my hands today? :-)

Let me start and say how I intend to do it.

My problem was that I wasn't sure how a sorceror's tapping ability could be made to stand out as a mechanism within the game without making significant exceptions.

What I intend to do is give the sorceror the ability Tap. In an extended contest his first action would be to use the Tap ability to make a connection with the intended victim. This would be an unrelated action and would allow the tapping to begin. Tapping would occur each time the sorceror acted and any victory would give 1 hurt to the victim (standard 7AP drain converted to hurts) while any defeat would result in the connection being broken.

This would show that the life-force of the victim is slowly draining away - they would be less and less effective as the contest wore on - the sorceror's concern would be to avoid getting defeated by his opponent's actions.

I was thinking that at the end of the contest the hurts could be converted into a Tapped ability equal to the hurts sustained * 7 and thus if the victim had 7 hurts at the end of the contest he would have Tapped 9W2. This could be used to augment the sorceror in subsequent contests where he was tapping the victim, though the Tapped attribute would fade over time representing the regaining of vitality.

One of my concerns is the motivation of the sorceror - what would his objectives be in a contest - stay alive?? - thwart opponent??? He wouldn't want to kill the opponent if he saw them as a potential tapping source for the future.

I suppose if he had done enough damage and wanted his opponent dead then once his opponent was drained far enough he could engage in a second contest against a tapped out victim who was less able to defend himself (the tapped attribute giving an automatic drawback to any skills used, -5 in the case above).