Re: What's in a keyword?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:46:42 -0800

> > How do you decide what is in a keyword? Do you put limits on
> > how many things
> > should be in a keyword?
>
> Cue SFX as large can of worms is opened....
>
> I'd say there are no hard limits on "how many" things can be in a keyword.
> It's just that only the ones we're interested in get explicitly listed.

Yep. to *my* thinking, all you need to list are the Keyword, and any ability that you explicitly increase (or decrease). Being in the middle of startup for a game, I see *everyone* listing all their Keyword abilities, even when at default values. To me this is a lot of wasted typing and killing electrons for no good purpose.

Instead, just list "Warrior 17" and "Spear and "Shield Combat +5". As a narrator, I can easily make the decision if an ability is a KW one or not, or look it up (I certtainly haven't memorized the various KWs and their abilities, but as Dr. Henry Jones said, "I wrote it down so I didn't *have* to remember".).

> > If I come up with something that should be in a
> > keyword later, does it start at the level the keyword is at now?
>
> Why should the date of your realisation that a skill is in a keyword
affect
> the level it's at? Same level as the keyword, unless for other reasons it
> looks like it needs to be K-5 or something.

I concur. If you just haven't needed "maintain equipment" in the game until now, you can assume that the hero has been doing it all along "off camera".

RR
- Richelieu