Re: Healers in Swenstown

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:15:40 +0100 (BST)

> I find complete instant healing only occurs in other
> (non-Glorantha) fantasy
> source literature when somebody does something like
> a heroquest. Never once
> happens in Middle Earth, for instance.

Athelas - and that was obviously viewed as rare and special. One specific herb for one specific "illness", too, and only one person in the universe can use it.

> I mean, if it's potentially life or
> death, or even has
> long-term health implications, I think they'd be as
> careful as possible,
> generally. So everyone may expect them to take a
> week or something.
>
> Now, if they don't have a week, then they can still
> use the ability.

If someone's hit you with a nasty sharp bit of metal, the situation is more likely to be "this person is bleeding to death *right now*, we need results inside 30 seconds". In which case a shift from "dying" to "injured" will be very gratefully recieved, and the fact that no more minor magic on *that* injury will work is beside the point. Or you could do First Aid to stabilise them, and hope there's time for a big ritual later. If your First Aid is up to a 20W resistance. An Ernalda Healer initiate with a "prevent dying" feat might be handy - I assume that doesn't prevent other magic being used later, since it doesn't actually heal anything?

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com