Re: HQ2 runes and wizardy question

From: mouserampant <richard.crawley5_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:15:48 -0000

> The way runes affect character behavior could be interpreted through
> that framework.
>
> In the first case (affinities), your behavior is directly affected by
> the rune because they are part of you.
> In the second case (spirits), you modify your behavior to befriend spirits.
> In the third case (spells), you modify your behavior according to the
> requirements described in your grimoire.

I think there's a very pronounced difference between theists and non-theists. Your theist character has three rune affinities. Your Westerner doesn't. Your typical westerner may know some spells that come from a particular grimoire and so have that grimoire's runic association but he doesn't have a rune as part of his personality.

My view is that whilst a Seshnelan might follow patterns of behaviour that might be deemed compatible with the Law rune because he follows the teachings of the abiding book, that "lawfulness" (if I can risk a term with such D&D associations) is less integral to his personality than a Sartarite's "storminess". This is part of what makes evil-God-Learner-scum aka Westerners so "not-us" to central Genertelan theists.