Re: Re: HQ2 runes and wizardy question

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:53:27 +1200

At 08:15 a.m. 14/05/2009, you wrote:

>I think there's a very pronounced difference between theists and
>non-theists.

While I hesitate to guess at what the unpublished rules will actually say on the matter, I'm no great fan of the concept that the theists have the best magic and that sorcerors and animists have crap magic by comparison. This bias has been present in prior incarnations of the rules (the HQ statement that westerners don't learn secrets because Solace is one big secret for example) and I hope that the trend towards simplification in the magic rules has taken some of the bias out.

Secondly the example presented is one of somebody *joining* a cult. Not becoming a devotee/disciple etc but using their own runic personality to use some of their deity's magic actively. A devotee, wizard or shaman would use any of their patron's magic actively *regardless* of their own personality (I presume!) whereas this rule is intended for beginning heroes (and also to prevent people from being forced to become devotees etc if they want to be magically powerful - again I presume!).

So the real question is what are the possible interactions between spells/grimoires and spirits on one hand and runic associations on the other? Obviously a western hero knowing a spell that is aligned with his runic personality (such as a knight knowing sword magic) and a Praxian being friends to a spirit that is aligned with his runic personality (like a morocanth with a shade) would have greater facility with that magic than the general population.

 From the rule example, the advantage is active magic use which would work well with the Praxian. The only complication that I can see was that in HQ1.0, all spells were active but I do not know if this is the case in HQ2.0

--Peter Metcalfe