Re: Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 17:52:19 +0100

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:21:36 +1000, John Machin wrote:

>2009/6/5 David Dunham <david_at_...>
>
>> HeroQuest is exceptionally easy to run. (Just as one example, ALL of
>> a GM's preparation time focuses on story, not statistics.)
>>
>It is, if you have a shared scenario, setting, or whatever.
>
>It's easy for people on this list to have a conversation about, say,
>Sartarite clansmen-adventurers since we have a shared set of assumptions and
>symbols to represent this concept - it's a lot harder to generate a setting
>without those assumptions.

There's quite a bit, even within familiar settings. So a man with Run Fast 18W shouldn't ever be able to outrace a horse with a mere 8W, because it fails a credibility test. So how about a man riding a Griffon chasing a moonboat?

Not that it's a new problem of course - we've had this ever since Anaxiel's Rooster, which is probably the single best argument in favour of never quoting any stats.