Re: Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:30:29 +0100

In article <rern255e0srbv4nf5o1963dgp04oljaabu_at_...>, Nick Eden <nick_at_...> writes
>There's quite a bit, even within familiar settings. So a man with Run
>Fast 18W shouldn't ever be able to outrace a horse with a mere 8W,
>because it fails a credibility test. So how about a man riding a
>Griffon chasing a moonboat?
>
>Not that it's a new problem of course - we've had this ever since
>Anaxiel's Rooster, which is probably the single best argument in
>favour of never quoting any stats.

Or some hero with significant movement magic, running after a horse. Clearly at some point it becomes satisfying for a hero to be able to outrun a horse, but how many heroes can do it? And responses of "when the story calls for it" will be considered (at least by me) to be missing the point.

In a world with strong magic, perhaps a credibility test fails its own credibility test: pretty much anything is possible with enough magic and there's Gloranthan examples to prove it (raise a moon, stop time, swap goddess).

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...