RE: Re: Misapplied Misapplied Worship Rules?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:25:06 -0400

>Dave writes:
>
>> Unless Trollish sorcery is to be retconned, [Arkat] was capable
>> enough as a sorcerer to found a sorcerous tradition while
>> simultaneously utilising trollish magics. Now, this could all be
>> explained as as misapplied worship, but I don't think so.
>
>OK, but trolls are weird, and troll magics are weird too, cf. HW-NB p.24.
>This has "special case" written all over it.

        It appears that trolls are a special case, and troll sorcery possibly so. I hope, however, that making HW work like it should won't be a process of creating overly proscriptive rules, and then making up lots of special cases to cover what we know about Glorantha.

>Besides, I don't get the
>impression troll sorcerers are simultaneously theist worshippers to any
>noteworthy/powergaining extent. It's *possible* Arkat provided the
>resources, the teachers and the secrets, but couldn't use sorcery himself as
>a troll.

        You had to be a theist initiate to become a troll sorcerer. You had several sorcerous spells that were basically designed to interact with theist magic.

        I sense a hideous retcon coming along as soon as someone points it out to Greg.

> > I always figured the troll sorcerers to be as good an example
>> of integrating sorcery and divine worship as you could get. YMMV.
>
>First up, I don't think they integrate it as individuals. I doubt a troll
>sorcerer could also be a competent theist worshipper and receive affinities
>and feats from sacrificial worship.

        They HAVE to be competent theist worshippers (well, initiates anyway) to even be taught sorcery.

> I'm pretty sure any "casual"
>troll users of Arkati sorcery are misapplying themselves to it, sacrificing
>to their sorcerous founders (more effective than ecstatic worship), and
>getting expensive but snazzy darkness affinities or feats, derived from the
>spells in Arkat's Black Grimoire, or the Lead-Bound Final Tome of Paslac, or
>wherever. YMMV.

        My impression was that the troll sorcerers where not casual users, but professional sorcerers.

	Regards
		David