Two newbie questions

From: Douglas Bailey <trystero_at_...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:58:54 -0400

First off, my apologies if these questions have been answered in depth in previous discussions: I've not spotted them in the archives (and would appreciate pointers to the archives to save re-hashing in the Digest).

I ran my first real session of HERO WARS on Thursday with the players from my RuneQuest game. Two minor questions came up that I wasn't able to answer with confidence. I made my own judgements, but would like to hear if these concur with others' interpretations of the rules.

(1) The rules book lists ranks for various weapons and armour types. How do
these interact with offensive magic? In particular, I had a player (an Orlanthi priest) hurling hail down on his enemies: should their armor help protect them in this contest? I ruled no, but...

(2) How many AP do inanimate objects bid? If a character is climbing a
cliff face in an extended contest, he gets the first bid. No problem. But when it's the *cliff*'s turn to act, I'm not really sure how many AP it should bid. I went with the default bid (3 AP), increasing by one each exchange to simulate the climber being higher and higher and thus risking more hurt in a fall. Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something?

Thanks very much for any answers. I understand that these are pretty basic questions, but I'd like to get any misreadings on my part out of the way early (we're evaluating HW to decide if we want to switch our RQ campaign over, and I'd hate to form an impression based on poor reading of a rule).

doug

--

--------------douglas bailey  (trystero_at_...)--------------
this week dragged past me so slowly; the days fell on their knees...